Monday, November 23, 2009

Crooked house, Part II




That's my dad and my husband trying to figure out what to do next. And for today the answer is nothing. It's pouring rain, and we don't want to get the plywood wet. Tomorrow, if it's dry, they'll fix/finish the electrical work and put down the plywood. We'll move the cabinets back in and start putting down the laminate flooring. We'll start in the back corner so we can get the water heater in right away. Hopefully. Tomorrow this project will be seven days old, if you don't count the weeks before hand we were packing and moving stuff out. I *want* to be excited about getting it finished, but all this work is just a patch. The joists are still rotten, the foundation is still sinking into the ground, the walls are still crumbling.



There are spiritual lessons here. I can't decide whether this house would be a better object lesson for the story of the foolish man's house or the necessity of spiritual maintenance. I suppose I'm experiencing a spiritual renovation of sorts. The rotten stuff is being ripped away, and underneath there's...more rotten stuff. I could apply a patch and change to make myself look good. But it would be a waste of time, and I'd have to do it all over again at some point. Growing spiritually is hard to do. I'm thankful I have a gentle, loving Abba to guide me through the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment