Monday, February 1, 2010

A brief note on change

No time today for a well thought out blog post. I've got 3 sick little ones, two of whom may be visiting the doctor today.

Last month we switched to cloth diapers during the day. Using the diapers themselves made our life no more challenging. Washing the diapers was another issue. Our house is old, and poorly built. Every winter, when the temp drops to freezing, the trap along our washing machines drain line freezes. This means that we can be without a washing machine for up to a week at a time. Right now I have a load worth of dirty diapers and no way to wash them. I'll probably take them down to mom's house tomorrow and wash them.

In spite of the washing difficulties, we've decided that this month we'll be using cloth diapers all the time. At night, and when we're out and about. I'm also aiming to make a few covers, and maybe some cloth diaper friendly pants for the Little Man. If I use what I have to make what I need, then I can save money and reduce my footprint. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. So glad the cloth diapering is going well! Bummer about the wash! Is there a good way to hand wash them? A soak in the bath tub? Maybe not something you will want to give a shot (not sure I would), but just a thought! Way to go Mama!!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're thinking about getting one of these: http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Laundry___Washing___Rapid_Washer___66RW?Args=

    That way we wouldn't have to get our hands in the muck. Dh even volunteered to do the work!

    ReplyDelete